Friday, September 23, 2011

Reimagining Library Real Estate

So, I'm on the planning team for our library's AGM this fall, and we're going to be doing something a bit different - convening mini think-tanks on three key strategic areas, and then rolling up the discussions and reporting back at the AGM. This way, we get to hear more voices/voices that aren't usually heard, and really engage staff at all levels, and in all areas (our library system is country-wide!) on some important issues/potential issues for our library. Specifically, we're going to be talking about:
  • Reimagining Real Estate
  • Reimagining Technical and Access Services
  • Reimagining Library Services
My planning co-chair and I had an awesome discussion yesterday about the think tanks, and then we got to thinking about the space we occupy here in Ottawa... and we got REALLY radical. (I don't want to expand at the moment, because I don't want to influence the discussions...) And it was exciting. And now I want to build a business case to actually do it.

My hubbub pointed out last night that these are decisions "above my pay grade." True - but I've been thinking a lot about where my strengths are (as I said yesterday, I don't think they're in reference, even though I like it), and I think it's strategy. And planning. So I want to do more of that. So that's what I'm going to do, insofar as possible. The way to learn how to do it, for me, is to just do it... This is why I'm so glad to work in a library where it is okay to make wild suggestions, even if they're not strictly within your job description.

(Also, the BeerBrarian has a good post about transforming library spaces. I'm going to have to see how to apply his suggestions at our libraries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment