Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh, indiscriminate squid...

My favourite line from this article is definitely the very last one. Please go read it!

And speaking of sex, I just finished reading The Inner Circle by T.C. Boyle.


I generally agree with this Washington Post review, although I don't "almost wish I hadn't read it." I'm quite glad that I read it - I found it to be quite the page turner - although I agree that it is disturbing. The exploration of how the insistence that it is "just sex" impacts the relationships between the characters; how Milk's devotion to work influences his view of and relationship with the most important people in his life; the slippery slope into questionable moral practices that the characters slide down so easily (bring to mind Malcolm's rant in Jurassic Park: "You were so busy thinking about whether you could that you didn't stop to think about whether you should," or something along those lines)... I found it to be quite an interesting exploration of the intersection between our humanity and our "human animal" -ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment