Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Heavy Days

Today, our CIO, Chief Librarian, and team managers are having meetings with library teams to discuss planned staff cuts. There are more meetings tomorrow - but I haven't been invited to one. (This may be because we've got a significant number of empty librarian positions, so I'm assuming that they're going to cut those - if they were occupied, I expect that it would be a different story.) Even though (it looks like) my job is safe, it has still been a rough day - I'm worried for my coworkers, and concerned about the library's new reality once the dust settles.

We've been asked to be sensitive to our coworkers who may be losing their jobs, but I've never been in this situation, and I'm not sure I know the right thing to say. (It's always a problem, isn't it, trying to find the right words in a difficult time.) Things seem a bit surreal at the moment - I'm pretty sure this is what people mean when they say "shit just got real."

No comments:

Post a Comment